Lesson 1- Overview of Vietnam
Stage 3 Outcomes:
- Stories of groups of people who migrated to Australia (including from ONE Asian country) and the reasons they migrated, such as World War II and Australian migration programs since the war (ACHHK115)
- Students are given an opportunity at the beginning of the lesson to outline what they already may know about Vietnam. They are given a worksheet where they complete two boxes “What I know” “What I want to know”. Students watch a video on Vietnam, allowing for a brief introduction into the topic.
- Students are broken up into teams. ready to complete a game show activity. The class is given a series of topics; location, climate, natural disasters, cities, trade. Each topic has a series of multiple choice questions associated with it. One at a time each group is given the opportunity to choose a topic. From this topic they are given a related question, if they answer the question correctly their team receives a point. After each question is answered the teacher gives the class a quick spill of related information to that topic.
- While the game is in progress each member of the group is given a worksheet which contains a heading for each topic. The rules of the game states that any student to note down two facts for each heading, will receive 5 extra points for their team.
- Students will be introduced to the online forum on Weebly where they will be able to blog the different things they learn at the conclusion of each throughout the unit of work lesson or for homework.
- Students will be assessed through observation. The game show will give the teacher the opportunity to observe the students contributions to class discussion and connection to prior understanding.
- Student work samples will be assessed on the retention of information and ability to note important facts